FAQs for CeCe Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints
What kind of paint is Cece Caldwell's?
Cece Caldwell's 100% Natural Chalk + Clay Paints paint is a mineral-based ready-to-use furniture paint made entirely of natural, non-toxic ingredients. It is completely safe to use around pets and children--even inside. The founder of CCCP, a longtime decorative furniture painter, wanted a paint she could use around her newborn grandson--so she came up with it herself! CCCP are similar to Chalk Paint® products in that they are thick, flat matte paints used primarily for painting furniture and home accents but Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints are completely sourced and made in the USA with 100% natural ingredients resulting in a non-toxic paint with NO VOCs that is totally American.
How do I use Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints?
CCCP are easy to use and anyone can do it without any fancy tools or years of furniture painting experience. Just follow 5 very basic, simple steps...
- Acquire a fantastic project piece. Or maybe you already have a nightstand or accent table in need of a makeover!
- Clean the item thoroughly and let it dry.
- Choose your paint and/or stain & finish.
- Paint your item using any type of brush you want. The type of brush will effect the finish of your piece so you might want to do a little research on which kind of a brush will get you the look you desire. I prefer using a high-quality synthetic brush for the painting as I like a smooth, refined paint job. Wait for the paint to dry (it WILL lighten and be several shades lighter than how it will end up after a finish is applied). Apply a second coat if needed, glaze and/or enhancements. **If you are painting a table which will get heavy use a coat or two of Flat Matte or Endurance is recommended to help create a moisture barrier to prolong your new paint job--you can still finish it off with Clear Wax or Waxing Cream to get the waxed/buffed look!
- Apply your choice of Clear Wax, Waxing Cream, Endurance, Flat Matte or Satin Finish. These are all finishes by Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints and each creates a different look when applied. To see what type of look they accomplish look here.
For more details visit Cece Caldwell's website and read and/or print the Instructions for Use for each of the products you are using.
Do I need to sand or prime my furniture before painting it with Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints?
You do not need to sand or prime your project before painting it with CCCP but you will definitely want to clean it thoroughly with water and maybe even an all-natural cleaner and let it dry completely before you begin. Depending on the existing finish of the project I sometimes sand it to achieve the look I want but it is not a necessary step for using CCCP.
Do I need to wear a mask or paint outside?
Wearing a mask is not necessary and painting inside is safe! Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints were founded out of a need to paint around a newborn baby so they are made of 100% Natural ingredients, are non-toxic and contain NO VOCs. The ingredients can be found listed on each can of paint and are:
- porcelain clay
- alcohol ester (binder)
Can I mix Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints to get a new color?
Mixing paint is encouraged and leads to more beautiful creations. You can visit mixology recipes for ideas and inspiration or to get the recipe for a color someone has so generously measured and shared.
Can I use Cece Caldwell's Chalk + Clay Paints in a paint sprayer?
Yes! CCCP paints can be used in sprayers. Depending on the sprayer you have you may want to dilute or strain your paint before spraying.